Wednesday, April 20, 2011

You Will Hear Thunder - Anna Akhmatova

After my stint in "Zombieland", I've been rediscovering my love for the written word - prose and poetry alike. The goal is to finish at least 20 novels for the year. I've already read 6.

My friend Q told me about the poem below by Russian poet Anna Akhmatova. He told me that it reminded him of me. What I like about the poem is the mixture of raw emotion and strength in the imagery.

Q, thank you for directing me to this treasure.


You Will Hear Thunder ~ Anna Akhmatova

You will hear thunder and remember me,

And think: she wanted storms. The rim

Of the sky will be the color of hard crimson,

And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.


That day in Moscow, it will all come true,

when, for the last time, I take my leave,

And hasten to the heights that I have longed for,

Leaving my shadow still to be with you.


In Russian:

Услышишь гром и вспомнишь обо мне,
Подумаешь: она грозы желала…
Полоска неба будет твердо-алой,
А сердце будет как тогда - в огне.
Случится это в тот московский день,
Когда я город навсегда покину
И устремлюсь к желанному притину,
Свою меж вас еще оставив тень.


No comments:

Post a Comment