Sunday, March 21, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret - all the best people are.

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of 3D movies. Yes, the graphics are amazing, but after 30 minutes or so my eyes begin to strain and the glasses become just bothersome.

Still, I endured, all for the love of Johnny Depp.

But no, I will not blog about how entertaining Mr. Depp is when he's acting crazy. I will not blog about how gorgeous he is (especially since he looks like a deranged clown in this film).

Enough about Johnny Depp.

To say that this is a film for children is a gross oversimplification. There's a murderous and sadistic Red Queen, a Mad Hatter who's obviously suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome, in addition to the very creepy host of talking animals. Indeed even the themes in this movie are surprisingly adult. It's interesting that Alice once again finds herself falling into Wonderland at a pivotal time in her life - when she's at the crossroads between adolescence and adulthood. At this point I find myself commiserating with poor Alice - when faced with a choice between marriage to a blubbering wimp and insanity, I'd gladly choose the latter too.

But then, by the end of the film, we are reminded that no matter how easy it would be to escape and shirk from the world of adulthood, it simply can't be done. It may be easier to slay monsters than face an entire crowd of people that's expecting you to do something you don't want to, but one must simply forge ahead and do what's right anyway. It's that simple - or so it seems.

For this reason, this film reminded me of Peter Pan. But unlike that story, Alice chose to grow up. At the risk of sounding like a rabid feminist, I'd just like to add that even works of fiction reflect the undeniable fact that girls mature faster than boys. Yay for Alice.

1 comment: