Saturday, April 10, 2010

Clash of the Gods

Being a bit of a nerd, I was a little excited to watch this new series on The History Channel. The Clash of the Gods is a series which focused on the different gods and goddesses of old, outlining their myths - from their genesis until their eventual decline - and even providing possible factual bases for these stories.

The first episode focused on Zeus, from his rise to power after the defeat of his father, Cronus, until his fall from grace with the advent of Christianity. I enjoyed the bit where the Zeus myth was linked with the ancient disaster at Santorini. The theory is that the Zeus myth - particularly the story of his battle with Cronus - was borne out of this volcanic eruption.

One thing about this series though: it's not for children. When they discuss the myths, they discuss every aspect of it, including the incestuous and violent themes of the myths. Still, it's an entertaining show, and it made me want to burrow through my piles of books and look for battered copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton.

2 comments:

  1. How I wish we have History Channel on cable too. I would love to see that series too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halika, tambay at my house. :D Let's have a nerd party - watch TV first, then drink. Haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete